Stock level critical.
A breathtaking publication featuring all-new articles from across the world of classic horror movies, only available right here!
Please note: the Classic Monsters Annual 2020 is a standalone product and is not included in subscriptions.
Inspired by our acclaimed quarterly magazine, we now bring you the Classic Monsters Annual 2020, a sublime 84-page publication featuring all-new articles from our panel of writers. The glorious cover art from Daniel Horne offers a glimpse into the kaleidoscope of monstrous action that awaits inside. Comparing Draculas is never easy, but we rise to the challenge in our opening feature with a comparison between Bela Lugosi and Christopher Lee, whose very different movies have defined our understanding of the cinema vampire in so many ways.
We also head beyond the world of bloodsuckers with an exploration of the portmanteau films that have won Amicus such a loyal fanbase over the years and sparkled with a huge number of movie stars. Lovers of the Universal golden age will adore our tribute to the Carl Laemmles, the pioneering father and son who played such an important role in the development of the modern cinema industry… but there’s so much more to discover inside too!
This unique publication captures the magic of Classic Monsters of the Movies with a diverse range of content that you won’t find anywhere else: every absorbing feature is packed with facts and insight to keep you reading. Meanwhile, the pages burst with stills, posters and lobby cards restored to the absolute highest standard to immerse you in the world of the movies you love. The whole magazine is printed and finished with the care and attention you expect, for a luxury horror movie magazine experience like nothing else.
The Classic Monsters Annual 2020 is only available right here on the Classic Monsters Shop – it won’t be available on newsstands or from any other retailer. Inside you’ll find:
- Dracula: Lugosi vs Lee – the Universal golden age lounge lizard or the passionate undead lover of the Hammer Horror era, which is your favourite? Nige Burton looks at the differing approaches taken by the two vampiric icons of cinema to assess their enduring appeal and the ever-present rivalry among fans.
- Amicus portmanteaus – the small studio had big ideas, and the anthology horror films produced by Amicus in the sixties and seventies brought us some of the most shocking imagery in classic horror. Jamie Jones explores the power of these mini-epics.
- The Carl Laemmles – the unique father and son team shaped the movie industry as we know it, with many Universal classics bearing their names. In our twin biography, Alex Hopkins recounts the Laemmles’ rise to power within the industry, and their heartbreaking fall from grace.
- Hammer’s psychological thrillers – you don’t have to spill gallons of blood to horrify audiences. Hammer turned the power of the mind to their own advantage with a range of unforgettable thrillers, and our new contributor David Huckvale uncovers their shadowy secrets here.
- AIP monsters – from outrageously kitsch sci-fi to black humour and body horror, AIP’s prolific horror output has included some of cinema’s most treasured classics. Bruce Hallenbeck chronicles the wealth of beasts, baddies and bug-eyed freaks the studio gave us.
- Second generation classics – some monsters mellow with age, but others just become ever scarier. Our thought-provoking feature looks at the way the accepted stable of classic monsters expanded and took golden age shocks to new levels.
The Classic Monsters Annual 2020 is another magnificent journey into the world of classic horror. Produced with the love and passion you expect from our world-class team, it’s an absolute must for your collection.
- 84 pages
- Full colour throughout
- Luxury matt laminated cover
- Packed with stills, posters, articles and info
- Printed and finished to the highest standard